Kena: Bridge of Spirits

Para

Team | Content
gerade eben ist auch ein preview embargo gefallen.

I was told my hour-long demo represented "one-third of one-third of the game," which suggests there are ten hours of adventuring across three discrete zones, along with some massive boss battles yet to be revealed. Given my lowering tolerance for lengthy games, that sounds pretty good—though I wonder whether the full game will ultimately line up with its $40 price point. We're getting a tightly constructed adventure game with memorable, beautiful zones and a brief runtime, along with a Pikmin-like twist that hopefully won't get too cute or gimmicky and thus wear out its welcome. (I'm optimistic on that latter point, as the Grier brothers confirmed that they scaled back their original plans for Rot-like twists when they got in the way of accessible fun.)
Obviously, we're in the hype cycle of not-quite-E3, so promising reveals and teaser trailers are the order of the day, but I left my 60 minutes with Kena: Bridge of Spirits enchanted and eager to return. Its mix of unique and familiar reminded me of Beyond Good & Evil—a game from a devoted team bringing their passion and fandom to the Zelda-like genre and delivering something that instantly grabbed me. We'll definitely have more on this game when it launches in August on PC and PlayStation consoles.

In combat, I feel like I’m Kratos, beating on an enemy or calling on Atreus (in this game, my Rot) to aid me in battle. When I’m using a bow, I feel like Aloy from Horizon Zero Dawn, jumping into the air to shoot slow-motion shots and nailing weak points. And when I’m using my Rot to solve puzzles and move things around, I’m Captain Olimar controlling a legion of Pikmin. Somehow, all of this feels right in Kena’s hands.

In a mini-boss fight, I could use my new bow to break weak points, dodge out of the way, and use both of my Rot attacks to freeze the boss before bashing it with my hammer. I could’ve solved that fight in multiple ways, but controlling Kena felt fluid no matter what I was doing.

From what I played, Ember Lab has successfully blended these playstyles into a cohesive game where I always felt like I had tons of options. As my army grew, and as I unlocked more abilities and collected new pieces of equipment, I felt my potential grow.

Kena is friendly and welcoming. It’s new, but its clear inspirations from Zelda and other action-adventure games make it feel comfortably familiar. And then you have those adorable Rot to give the experience a bit of a twist.

If you look at Kena, you should already know if you’re interested. It is the magic adventure that the trailers sell it as. Kena is as good as it looks.

Cthulhu

Greetings earthlings!
Klingt doch gut. Und bei dem Preis überlege ich tatsächlich, mal einen Blindkauf per Vorbestellung zu tätigen.

Reaktionen: Jayroc

Cthulhu

Greetings earthlings!
Bin jetzt nur durchgeskippt. Aber gefällt mir weiterhin recht gut. Die Animationen wirken etwas hölzern, gerade beim springen, aber das stört jetzt nicht sonderlich. Als 70-80€ Titel, wäre das nichts für mich, aber bei 40€ bleibt es weiterhin sehr interessant.

Reaktionen: Exelus

Barry

Mitglied
Finde es gut wenn man das Spiel noch polieren will und deshalb verschiebt. Aber wenn man überlegt für wann es ursprünglich angekündigt wurde...

Fox

und fertig
Team | Admin
Neuer PSBlog-Post, der bestätigt, dass es nächste Woche tatsächlich erscheint (auch wenn es sehr ruhig um das Spiel ist):

51477624125_f8455fd3a3_h.jpg

0shikuru

dissociative
Neuer PSBlog-Post, der bestätigt, dass es nächste Woche tatsächlich erscheint (auch wenn es sehr ruhig um das Spiel ist):

51477624125_f8455fd3a3_h.jpg

Habe auch ehrlich gesagt mit einer Verschiebung gerechnet, eben weil es so ruhig um den Titel ist. Sonst macht Sony doch auch einen entsprechenden Aufriss um ihre Spiele. :detective:

Reaktionen: drizzt

Wolke

crossing
Stecken wohl einfach nicht so viele Ressourcen ins Marketing, was eigentlich vollkommen okay ist. Mehr Geld fürs Spiel übrig :shu:

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Reaktionen: drizzt

Fox

und fertig
Team | Admin
Laut einem Mitarbeiter von Wccftech endet das Review-Embargo erst morgen früh um 7 Uhr deutscher Zeit – und damit zum Release-Tag:

Gepaart mit der Tatsache, dass diverse Portale aus der Presse gemäß eigenen Angaben einen Tag vor Launch noch ohne Review-Code dastehen (oder ihn erst gestern erhalten haben), ist das Prozedere rund um den Titel zumindest mal ungewöhnlich. Hoffentlich sind das keine schlechten Zeichen.